On this page you can find key articles on the findings of the SUMAT team as the project has developed, and keynote presentations we have given at events across Europe since the project launched in 2011.
If you would like more information on the SUMAT project and the results of our research, please contact us.
The Public Deliverable documents associated with this project can be found here.
Please click on the links to access the file for viewing or download
Annual Project Reports
List of available publications and journal articles
- “Challenges for the Audiovisual industry in the digital age: the ever-changing needs of subtitle production”, The Journal of Specialised Translation, Issue 17, pp. 78-103, January 2012.
- “SUMAT: Data Collection and Parallel Corpus Compilation for Machine Translation of Subtitles”, 8th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, Istanbul, Turkey, 23-25 May, 2011
- “SUMAT: An online service for Subtitling by Machine Translation”, Proceedings of the 16th EAMT Conference, 28-30 May 2012, Trento, Italy
- “Building the parallel Slovene-Serbian corpus of subtitles for machine translation in the SUMAT project”.
- “Parallel Subtitle Corpora and their Applications in Machine Translation and Translatology”, Perspectives: Studies in Translatology. Special Issue: Corpus linguistics and AVT: in search of an integrated approach, Volume 21, Issue 4, pp. 595-610, 2013
- “SUMAT: sottotitolazione assistita dalla traduzione automatica”, In Eugeni, C. e L. Zambelli (a cura di) Respeaking. Specializzazione on-line. Numero monografico n.1 www.accademia-aliprandi.it pp. 120-123, 2013
- “SMT Experiments for Commercial Translation of Subtitles”, Proceedings of MT Summit 2013, pp. 369-370, User Track Poster Session, Nice, France. The poster from the session can be viewed here
- “SUMAT: An Online Service for Subtitling by Machine Translation”, Proceedings of MT Summit 2013, pp. 439, European Projects Poster Session, Nice, France. The poster from the session can be viewed here
- “Improving Statistical Machine Translation with Additional Language Models” 6th Language & Technology Conference: Human Language Technologies as a Challenge for Computer Science and Linguistics, December 7-9, 2013, Poznań, Poland
- “Machine translation in subtitling and the rising profile of the post-editor”, Multilingual Computing January/February 2014, pp. 24-28
- “Machine Translation for Subtitling: A Large-scale Evaluation”, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'14), May 2014, Reykjavik, Iceland
Presentations at industry events
- “What is the Productivity Gain of using Machine Translation in Subtitling?“ Languages & the Media 2012, Berlin, Germany